Groups benefit from �300,000 Stansted Airport cash
HUNDREDS of charities and community groups benefited from �312,726 worth of donations from Stansted Airport’s three community funds last year.
A village green project, youth employment schemes, hospices and disability groups were among the 220 organisations that benefited in 2011.
One example was the Hatfield Broad Oak Village Green scheme, which received �50,000 towards a project to transform grazing land into sporting and recreational facilities in the centre of the village.
Keith Artus, district councillor for Hatfield Broad Oak and the Hallingburys, said: “The parish council’s belief in its plan to turn 12.5 acres of land in the heart of the village into a country park has been rewarded with this wonderful offer of support from the Stansted Community Fund.”
Another to benefit was Saffron Walden County High School which received a �3,000 donation for towards an outdoor classroom that includes a pond, teaching area and wildlife garden.
You may also want to watch:
School trustee Huw Leyshon said: “The fantastic financial contribution enabled us to develop an overgrown expanse into a functioning ‘outdoor classroom’ incorporating a pond, teaching area and insect attracting wildlife garden.”
Stansted Airport’s corporate social responsibility manager, Marcella M’Rabety, said: “We are all aware these are very difficult economic times, and that the aviation sector continues to be affected by the downturn, so we are delighted to be able to support so many organisations and continue our commitment to the local communities surrounding the airport.”
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 5 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 6 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 7 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 8 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
- 9 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 10 Team Laptop launches to support children's learning
The airport has three funding streams where local people can apply for support: the Stansted Community Fund, the Stansted Airport Passenger Community Fund and the Stansted Airport Community Trust.
Most of Stansted’s community activity and support is channelled through grants to help local schools, funding of youth development projects, supporting staff with fundraising and voluntary activities, supporting educational initiatives and local charitable events.
To check whether your group qualifies for a grant, please visit stanstedairport.com/community or email firstname.lastname@example.org.