Groups benefit from �300,000 Stansted Airport cash
HUNDREDS of charities and community groups benefited from �312,726 worth of donations from Stansted Airport’s three community funds last year.
A village green project, youth employment schemes, hospices and disability groups were among the 220 organisations that benefited in 2011.
One example was the Hatfield Broad Oak Village Green scheme, which received �50,000 towards a project to transform grazing land into sporting and recreational facilities in the centre of the village.
Keith Artus, district councillor for Hatfield Broad Oak and the Hallingburys, said: “The parish council’s belief in its plan to turn 12.5 acres of land in the heart of the village into a country park has been rewarded with this wonderful offer of support from the Stansted Community Fund.”
Another to benefit was Saffron Walden County High School which received a �3,000 donation for towards an outdoor classroom that includes a pond, teaching area and wildlife garden.
You may also want to watch:
School trustee Huw Leyshon said: “The fantastic financial contribution enabled us to develop an overgrown expanse into a functioning ‘outdoor classroom’ incorporating a pond, teaching area and insect attracting wildlife garden.”
Stansted Airport’s corporate social responsibility manager, Marcella M’Rabety, said: “We are all aware these are very difficult economic times, and that the aviation sector continues to be affected by the downturn, so we are delighted to be able to support so many organisations and continue our commitment to the local communities surrounding the airport.”
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 3 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 4 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 5 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 6 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 7 Saffron Walden Town off to winning start with victory at Sawbridgeworth
- 8 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 9 WaldenTRI come together to produce a strong showing at Bedford Team Relays
- 10 How one business is encouraging pet owners to go plastic free
The airport has three funding streams where local people can apply for support: the Stansted Community Fund, the Stansted Airport Passenger Community Fund and the Stansted Airport Community Trust.
Most of Stansted’s community activity and support is channelled through grants to help local schools, funding of youth development projects, supporting staff with fundraising and voluntary activities, supporting educational initiatives and local charitable events.
To check whether your group qualifies for a grant, please visit stanstedairport.com/community or email email@example.com.