Guildhall School of Music student gunning for Essex Young Musician of the Year title
A FORMER Saffron Walden County High School student is vying for the title of Essex Young Musician of the Year.
Amy Morrow, from Church Hall Corner, Stansted Mountfitchet, will be doing battle with 13 other classically trained musicians in an effort to take home the top prize.
The 22-year-old, who has been playing the clarinet for 13 years and passed Grade 8 when she was 15, is hoping to go one step further than a couple of years ago when she reached the semi-finals.
She is currently in her final year at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama and would like to do session or orchestra work when she graduates.
Amy’s mum Elaine – a gifted pianist and teacher at the County High – will be her accompanist in the competition, which includes two singers, three flute players, three clarinettists and three string players.
You may also want to watch:
The preliminary stage of the contest will be held at 2pm on Sunday (June 24) in Ongar’s Budworth Hall, while the semi-finals will take place the following week on July 1 at 2pm. The finals follow from 7.30pm that day.
Amy will be judged by a number of well-known and respected professional classical musicians, including the Ongar Music Club’s president, world renowned pianist John Lill CBE.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 7 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 8 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 9 More restrictions set to be scrapped in Boris Johnson's winter Covid plan
- 10 Dramatic pictures show extent of three north-west Essex farm fires
Tickets are �7 for the semi finals and final on July 1 and can be purchased either on the door or in advance by calling Janet Pope on 01763 248342.