‘Gym buddy’ course launched for blind members
FREE training is available for volunteers who would like to support blind and partially-sighted people in the gym.
The training, delivered by the RNIB, takes place at the Lord Butler Leisure Centre on Tuesday (December 4) from 10.30am-3.30pm.
The aim of the course is to enable participants to help blind and partially-sighted gym members access the gym equipment and classes. The emphasis will be on adaptation of equipment, basic facts around sight loss and communication, safety issues and how to make training sessions both challenging and fun.
Paul Goddard, Uttlesford District Council’s community outreach officer, said: “This scheme is open to anyone over the age of 16. No specific skills or qualifications are required, just an interest in exercise and an enthusiasm for supporting others to achieve their goals.
“The course is suitable for gym members, gym staff, sports coaches, general volunteers and leisure officers. “
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Please make sure you wear clothing suitable for practical physical activities. This course will give you the confidence and understanding by working as a Gym Buddy to help blind or partially-sighted gym members.
“It will also explore ways in which people who have visual impairment can be safely and fully included in gym sessions and classes. You will also benefit as you will learn to train with a partner to improve your own fitness levels”
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 3 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 4 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 5 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 7 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 8 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 9 West Essex villages fear becoming 'trapped' by road closures
- 10 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
If you are interested in the volunteer ‘Gym Buddy’ scheme or feel you would benefit from the support of a volunteer, call 01799 522777 and ask for details.