Hatfield Heath swimming pool deaths: Post mortems taking place today
- Credit: Archant
POST MORTEM investigations are currently taking place on two hotel guests who were found dead in a swimming pool on Saturday evening.
A man in his early 30s and a woman in her early 20s, both from London, were found in the pool at Down Hall Country House Hotel in Hatfield Heath.
The victims have not yet been indentified by police, who are still investigating the relationship between the two.
Chris Falcus, manager of the Down Hall Country House Hotel in Hatfield House, said: “We are devastated by this tragic incident and our thoughts are with the families and friends of those concerned.
“As soon as the alarm was raised two of our team dived into the pool and did everything they could to try to save them.
“We are co-operating fully with the police investigation.”
The pair was found underwater and efforts made by staff and paramedics to resuscitate the pair were unsuccessful.
- 1 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Derby fun for Wendens Ambo as they brush off logistical headache
- 4 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 5 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
- 6 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 7 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 8 In pictures: the cute animals in January's Pets' Corner
- 9 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Large Visitor Attraction of the Year finalists
- 10 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
The cause of their death is being treated as unexplained by Essex police, who attended the scene at 19:35, but they say there is no evidence of foul play at this stage.
Chief Inspector Nick Lee, Uttlesford District Commander, said: “Officers attended the location and on arrival found two people submerged in the swimming pool.
“It is a very tragic set of circumstances. Two people being found in these circumstances is unusual and we are not looking for any other people at the moment.
“At the moment we haven’t ascertained as to whether these individuals were part of any function or not.
“I am sure it must have been very traumatic for the guests and we are working closely with the management at the hotel to help the guests.”
The victim’s next of kin have been informed.