Hospice at home service in seventh year but Covid impact 'challenging'
- Credit: St Clare Hospice
St Clare Hospice is celebrating the seventh year of its Hospice at Home service which was launched in January 2014.
But the manager has admitted the impact of Covid has made it one of the most challenging times in the history of the team.
The registered nurses and nursing assistants provide free, short-term, compassionate care for people with life-limiting illnesses in the comfort of their own home across West Essex.
They have cared for more than 3,500 patients and their families over the past seven years.
In 2019/20 they support for over 780 families, spending approximately 1,400 hours each month giving compassionate care.
You may also want to watch:
Sonia Haigh, St Clare's Hospice at Home manager, said: “Our team has worked so hard over the past seven years but the last 10 months, as we have continued to care on the frontline through the Covid pandemic, have been one of the most challenging times in the history of our team.
"Our service has never been more needed, as we support patients to discharge as quickly from hospital to relieve the pressure on the NHS, and to care for as many people as possible in the place of their choice – which is so often their own home."
- 1 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
- 2 District council is not investing in arms trade, say councillors
- 3 Gordon's 'fiver for a jab' fundraiser for NHS
- 4 Essex county council deputy says he will stand for top job
- 5 Robbers leave with hundreds of pounds after threatening business staff
- 6 Stroke at 27 - now teacher is giving something back
- 7 Essex recruiting on-call firefighters
- 8 Long recycling centre queues into the road 'nearly cause accident'
- 9 Free vegetarian meal service launched
- 10 Covid jab success in North Uttlesford
Referrals can be made by all health, social and voluntary care professionals. Patients, their family, or carer can also refer themselves directly. The team will then need to discuss the referral with the patient’s GP.
For more information visit stclarehospice.org.uk/hospice-home
Contact Hospice at Home on 01279 773716 between 8am and 8pm or call the 24 hour advice line on 01279 773773.