Heroin and cocaine worth �650k seized at Stansted Airport
HEROIN and cocaine with an estimated street value of �650,000 has been seized by Border Force officers at Stansted Airport.
The separate seizures were made from air freight last Tuesday (July 10), but due to on-going enquires could not be publicised till now.
The cocaine weighed approximately 1kg and would have been worth around �200,000, once cut for sale on the street. It had arrived on a freight shipment from Jamaica.
The drugs had been concealed inside car brake discs. Officers had to drill into the discs to retrieve the drugs.
The heroin, which weighed approximately 2kgs and had a street value of around �450,000, was found concealed in the backing of two blankets. The blankets had been sent from Pakistan.
Bill Form, from Border Force, said: “These were two quite sophisticated concealments, but our officers are trained to expect the unexpected.
“The trade in illegal drugs is big business and the criminals who engage in this activity are always looking to find new ways to evade detection. It is our job to stay one step ahead of them and to put a stop to this terrible trade that has such a destructive impact on the lives of so many.”
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 3 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 5 Could you be named the Essex Young Musician of the Year?
- 6 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 9 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Both cases have now been passed to the police for further investigation. No arrests have been made.
Border Force officers use a combination of hi-tech x-ray scanning equipment and intelligence to weed out the illegal goods which criminals try to smuggle through Stansted.
Anyone with information about activity they suspect may be linked to drug smuggling should call our hotline on 0800 59 5000.