Hi-tech boarding pass system ready for take-off at Stansted
- Credit: Archant
PASSENGERS departing from London Stansted will now use state-of-the-art smart technology before they enter the security screening area as part of the airport’s drive to improve the passenger experience.
From Monday (April 22) new self-service ‘Smart Access’ scanners will replace the manual boarding pass checks currently in place for passengers flying from the airport.
The system – much like the Oyster card system in use at London Underground stations – scans boarding passes and verifies that passengers are travelling on the correct flight and date.
Stansted, part of Manchester Airports Group, has invested £1.2million in the new system which has been designed and manufactured by MacDonald Humfrey, an industry leader in airport systems.
Neil Banks, the airport’s terminal manager, said: “The introduction of the new ‘Smart Access’ system will make it quicker and simpler for passengers to reach the departure lounge. The innovation is the first part of some really exciting changes planned across the airport, part of which involves developing a fantastic new and improved departure lounge for our passengers to enjoy.
“Stansted is already one of the most efficient and easy to use airport terminals but we want to make it even better and create a great airport experience for the thousands of passengers travelling through every day.”
A dedicated entrance will be available for wheelchair users and passengers with reduced mobility, while child buggies will be able to pass through the wider gates available at each entry point.
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 7 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 8 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
Staff will also be on hand for anyone requiring assistance and to help people through the process. Visit stanstedairport.com to view our handy factsheet about how to use ‘Smart Access’.