Highways Agency advice to road users as high winds are forecast
ROAD users in the south east are being advised to check the weather forecast and road conditions before they travel today (Thursday November 11) and towards the weekend, as high winds are forecast across southern England.
The Met Office has also issued a severe weather warning for the north west and Wales, with gusts up to 80 mph predicted. Winds affecting the agency’s road network are predicted to reach 60mph or more. As a result of these high winds there is currently an Amber Alert issued for high-sided vehicles in the north west.
Drivers of high-sided vehicles, caravans and motorbikes are advised to take extra care when travelling due to the increased risk of vehicles being blown over.
The Highways Agency, which operates and maintains motorways and major A roads in England is working closely with the Met Office to monitor weather conditions and maintain safe roads and reliable journeys.
Drivers are advised to plan their journeys before they set out, checking the forecast and road conditions, to leave extra time for their journeys if travel conditions are poor, and to delay their journey if the weather becomes severe. Drivers are reminded that rain and spray can reduce visibility and when the road is wet it can take up to twice as long to stop so it makes sense to slow down when it’s raining.
You may also want to watch:
Surface water may affect motorways and major A roads so we advise drivers to move slowly through any standing water and test their brakes once they’re through before continuing to drive.
Listen to travel news on your car radio or tune into the Highways Agency’s Traffic Radio, which is available on DAB Digital Radio or online at trafficradio.org.uk
- 1 Extension lead warning after fatal fire in Saffron Walden
- 2 Saffron Walden Town through in FA Vase after dramatic ending
- 3 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 4 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 5 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 From Star Wars to Cambridge Arts Theatre... Actor Ian McDiarmid talks about The Lemon Table
- 8 Gardeners behind the best-kept Saffron Walden allotments named
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
Up-to-date information on road conditions on England’s motorways and trunk roads is available on the agency website at highways.gov.uk/trafficinfo or by calling 0300 123 5000. For information on weather conditions, visit the Met Office websitemetoffice.gov.uk or listen to local radio.