Highways Agency lifts roadworks from today
ROAD users are reminded that the Highways Agency has completed or suspended almost 80 per cent of roadworks on motorways and major A roads.
This started from 6am this morning, leaving 99 per cent of its road network clear of works until the morning of Tuesday May 3.
A total of 148 carriageway miles of roadworks have been completed and a further 44 carriageway miles suspended, meaning more lanes will be open and many speed restrictions lifted through the extended holiday period.
107 sets of roadworks have been completed or suspended and just 22 sets of roadworks remain in place for the safety of drivers and their passengers.
In addition, after non-stop work following the fire under a viaduct on the M1 north of London, three lanes are now open in both directions between junctions 1 and 4 of the M1 with a 50mph speed limit in force over the viaduct for safety reasons. There are no planned works on this section of the M1 for the forthcoming bank holiday periods.
You may also want to watch:
Road users should note that there are likely to be further closures of this section of the M1 to enable permanent repair work to be undertaken. This work will be planned to minimise disruption as far as possible and advance warning will be given.
- 1 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 2 Saffron Striders enjoy lots of choice with Great North Run the main event
- 3 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 4 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 5 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 6 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 7 Peter Holt is appointed as the new district council chief executive
- 8 'It feels brilliant to be back' - Aladdin announced as Cambridge Arts Theatre's full-scale Christmas pantomime
- 9 Opera superstar opens world-class season of entertainment lined up at Saffron Hall
- 10 Your pictures as Essex goes 'Back to School'