Hollywood screenwriter attends Q&A session at special screening at Saffron Walden cinema
- Credit: Archant
Ol Parker, who wrote The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, travelled from Los Angeles to take part in a question and answer session at Saffron Screen on Friday night. He was joined by author Jojo Moyes.
Mr Parker, whose parents still live near by, has returned to the town venue to introduce his films on a number of times, including the first hit film in 2012.
He said the sequel was a great challenge to embark upon and it was particularly daunting, and a great privilege, to write for the two dames who star in the film – Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.
The films have grown so popular that there are Marigold Tours which visit the hotel at the centre of the films and the surrounding area.
Mr Parker added that during the 45-day filming, the crew and cast had to move out of the hotel, for a tour to visit.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Moyes was asked about her latest project – the screenplay for her best-selling novel Me Before You – and with help from Mr Parker, she has written a screenplay for another of her novels One Plus One.
Rebecca del Tufo, Saffron Screen programming manager, said: “Ol is such an entertaining speaker and we always enjoy hearing his anecdotes from the making of his films. We are so grateful to him and Jojo for taking the time to come to the cinema.
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 3 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 4 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 5 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 7 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 8 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 9 West Essex villages fear becoming 'trapped' by road closures
- 10 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
“He has promised to come back to Saffron Screen with his next film – we can’t wait.”
INFORMATION: The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel shows again on April 18, May 4, 24 and 28.