Holocaust Memorial Day services to be held in Saffron Walden
HOLOCAUST Memorial Day will be honoured in Saffron Walden by two services at St Mary’s Church.
Saffron Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst and members of the town council will attend a service to mark the occasion itself on Sunday, January 27 at 10am, while Year 6 students from schools in the area and students at the County High School and Friends’ will take part in another the following day at 1.40pm.
Everyone has been invited to come along to either service to mark the memorial day.
The speaker at both services will be Rev John Fieldsend, who was born to a liberal Jewish family in Czechoslovakia. He came to England in 1939 on the Kindertransport and has worked as an electrical engineer. He is now a minister in the Anglican Church.
Leslie Wheeler, from the Beth Shalom Synagogue, in Cambridge, will be singing the traditional blessings in Hebrew.
You may also want to watch:
William Kaczinski, who also escaped from the Holocaust with his immediate family and was interned on the Isle of Man during the war, will be coming into schools in the town next week to talk with groups of school children about his experiences.
- 1 Tools collection is a huge success
- 2 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 6 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 8 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 9 New development plan for former Friends' School
- 10 Share your views: Should Freedom Day on June 21 go ahead?