Holocaust Memorial Day services to be held in Saffron Walden
HOLOCAUST Memorial Day will be honoured in Saffron Walden by two services at St Mary’s Church.
Saffron Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst and members of the town council will attend a service to mark the occasion itself on Sunday, January 27 at 10am, while Year 6 students from schools in the area and students at the County High School and Friends’ will take part in another the following day at 1.40pm.
Everyone has been invited to come along to either service to mark the memorial day.
The speaker at both services will be Rev John Fieldsend, who was born to a liberal Jewish family in Czechoslovakia. He came to England in 1939 on the Kindertransport and has worked as an electrical engineer. He is now a minister in the Anglican Church.
Leslie Wheeler, from the Beth Shalom Synagogue, in Cambridge, will be singing the traditional blessings in Hebrew.
You may also want to watch:
William Kaczinski, who also escaped from the Holocaust with his immediate family and was interned on the Isle of Man during the war, will be coming into schools in the town next week to talk with groups of school children about his experiences.
- 1 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 2 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 3 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 4 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Town council backs new support club
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 9 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport