Holocaust Memorial Day services to be held in Saffron Walden
HOLOCAUST Memorial Day will be honoured in Saffron Walden by two services at St Mary’s Church.
Saffron Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst and members of the town council will attend a service to mark the occasion itself on Sunday, January 27 at 10am, while Year 6 students from schools in the area and students at the County High School and Friends’ will take part in another the following day at 1.40pm.
Everyone has been invited to come along to either service to mark the memorial day.
The speaker at both services will be Rev John Fieldsend, who was born to a liberal Jewish family in Czechoslovakia. He came to England in 1939 on the Kindertransport and has worked as an electrical engineer. He is now a minister in the Anglican Church.
Leslie Wheeler, from the Beth Shalom Synagogue, in Cambridge, will be singing the traditional blessings in Hebrew.
William Kaczinski, who also escaped from the Holocaust with his immediate family and was interned on the Isle of Man during the war, will be coming into schools in the town next week to talk with groups of school children about his experiences.
- 1 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 2 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 3 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 4 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 5 Data reveals distracted drivers repeatedly caught in Essex
- 6 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 7 Police appeals into two Uttlesford incidents
- 8 Saffron Walden youngsters show grit in defeat to Wymondham
- 9 Essex: More Electric Vehicles needed to meet goals
- 10 easyJet: 'We don't have plans for more routes from Stansted'