Hotel manager and staff are ‘devasted’ by the death of two guests
- Credit: Archant
THE MANAGER of a hotel where two guests were found dead in a swimming pool has said that he and his staff are devastated by the incident.
Chris Falcus, manager of the Down Hall Country House Hotel in Hatfield Heath, said: “We are devastated by this tragic incident and our thoughts are with the families and friends of those concerned.
“As soon as the alarm was raised two of our team dived into the pool and did everything they could to try to save them.
“We are co-operating fully with the police investigation.”
A man in his early 30s and a woman in her early 20s, both from London, were found dead in the hotel’s swimming pool on Saturday night.
They were found together, underwater in a swimming pool, by staff at the hotel and their efforts to revive the pair were unsuccessful.
Ambulance crews were also unable to revive the pair.
- 1 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 4 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 5 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 6 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 7 Set times for The Bootleg Beatles and From The Jam's Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
- 9 Electric bus at Stansted Airport to help reach Net Zero
- 10 Saffron Walden Community Shed saves the day for charities in need
The cause of their death is being treated as unexplained by Essex police, who attended the scene at 19:35, but they say there is no evidence of foul play at this stage.
Police have confirmed that they were guests at the hotel and were staying together, but the nature of their relationship has not been confirmed.
Chief Inspector Nick Lee, Uttlesford District Commander, said: “Officers attended the location and on arrival found two people submerged in the swimming pool.
“It is a very tragic set of circumstances. Two people being found in these circumstances is unusual and we are not looking for any other people at the moment.
“At the moment we haven’t ascertained as to whether these individuals were part of any function or not.
“I am sure it must have been very traumatic for the guests and we are working closely with the management at the hotel to help the guests.”
The victims have not been formally identified, but their next of kin have been informed.
Post-mortem examinations of the bodies will be carried out on Monday.