House blaze: Unconscious pensioner saved by firefighters
FIREFIGHTERS rescued an unconscious elderly woman from her home after a blaze broke out at the property.
The pensioner, of Abbey Street, Ickleton, was resuscitated and given oxygen to help her overcome smoke inhalation.
She was then taken by ambulance to hospital where her condition was not thought to be life-threatening.
Crews from Saffron Walden, Linton, Sawston, Cambridge, Royston, Newmarket, Huntingdon and Whittlesey tackled the fire after being alerted to the incident at around 12.50pm yesterday (Thursday). The blaze was under control by 3pm.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: “The fire went through the roof of the property and eight crews tackled it, having to cut away at the roof.
You may also want to watch:
“The house and roof have been significantly damaged by fire, but not destroyed.”
An investigation has been launched to determine the cause of the fire.
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 3 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 4 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 5 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 7 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 8 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 9 West Essex villages fear becoming 'trapped' by road closures
- 10 'Do you enjoy singing and making new friends?' - Church holding taster session for its junior choir