House blaze: Unconscious pensioner saved by firefighters
FIREFIGHTERS rescued an unconscious elderly woman from her home after a blaze broke out at the property.
The pensioner, of Abbey Street, Ickleton, was resuscitated and given oxygen to help her overcome smoke inhalation.
She was then taken by ambulance to hospital where her condition was not thought to be life-threatening.
Crews from Saffron Walden, Linton, Sawston, Cambridge, Royston, Newmarket, Huntingdon and Whittlesey tackled the fire after being alerted to the incident at around 12.50pm yesterday (Thursday). The blaze was under control by 3pm.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: “The fire went through the roof of the property and eight crews tackled it, having to cut away at the roof.
You may also want to watch:
“The house and roof have been significantly damaged by fire, but not destroyed.”
An investigation has been launched to determine the cause of the fire.
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 4 Stations benefit from funding
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 7 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 8 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 9 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 10 Surgeon wins top award for hip research