House blaze: Unconscious pensioner saved by firefighters
FIREFIGHTERS rescued an unconscious elderly woman from her home after a blaze broke out at the property.
The pensioner, of Abbey Street, Ickleton, was resuscitated and given oxygen to help her overcome smoke inhalation.
She was then taken by ambulance to hospital where her condition was not thought to be life-threatening.
Crews from Saffron Walden, Linton, Sawston, Cambridge, Royston, Newmarket, Huntingdon and Whittlesey tackled the fire after being alerted to the incident at around 12.50pm yesterday (Thursday). The blaze was under control by 3pm.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: “The fire went through the roof of the property and eight crews tackled it, having to cut away at the roof.
You may also want to watch:
“The house and roof have been significantly damaged by fire, but not destroyed.”
An investigation has been launched to determine the cause of the fire.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 5 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 6 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 7 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 10 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event