Keep your chimney clean warning after blaze in Ashdon
- Credit: Supplied
A chimney fire in Ashdon has sparked a reminder to keep flues clean this winter.
A fire crew from Saffron Walden attended a chimney blaze which broke out at around 6pm on Sunday (November 28).
A spokesperson for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: "Firefighters were called to a chimney fire in Ashdon when the residents heard their smoke alarms going off.
"On arrival, crews reported that there was a fire within a chimney of a house.
"Firefighters used chimney rods to extinguish the fire by 6.43pm.
"Most chimney fires are preventable.
"Regular inspection of chimney flues will help prevent fires in chimneys."
- 1 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 2 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 3 Road building not the answer to Essex's transport woes, says campaigner
- 4 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 5 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 6 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 7 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 8 Saffron Striders enjoy home leg of inter-club cross-country championship
- 9 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 10 Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Meet the Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award finalists
They said that homeowners should sweep their chimneys at least once each year, and said fires should not be stacked too high.
They added: "Smoke alarms save lives.
"They can alert your family as well as your neighbours and passers-by to a fire in your home."