Hundreds flock to amazing Manuden Scarecrow Festival
- Credit: Celia Bartlett
More than 1,000 people flocked to Manuden at the weekend to take part in the village’s second scarecrow trail.
This year’s theme was book characters and the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory mannequin won the prize for best scarecrow as voted by those who completed the trail.
More than £4,000 was raised at the event, which took place from Friday (April 8) to Sunday (April 10), and the money will go towards updating the village’s play area.
Lizzie Mclean, from the organising team of parents behind the event, said: “We had an absolutely fantastic weekend, and were amazed by how many people came down to visit the scarecrow trail. In total, we sold more than 620 maps and raised £4,279 which is well over double what we expected to make.
“The money will be used to pay for a new swing frame for older children at the play area, and will include a basket swing.
You may also want to watch:
“We’d like to say a really massive thank you to everyone who came to complete the trail, to everyone who made the superb scarecrows, and to our sponsors, Savills, Koru Gym and Jon Scaffolding Services.”
- 1 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 2 New outreach Post Office for community
- 3 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 8 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled