Hundreds flock to amazing Manuden Scarecrow Festival
- Credit: Celia Bartlett
More than 1,000 people flocked to Manuden at the weekend to take part in the village’s second scarecrow trail.
This year’s theme was book characters and the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory mannequin won the prize for best scarecrow as voted by those who completed the trail.
More than £4,000 was raised at the event, which took place from Friday (April 8) to Sunday (April 10), and the money will go towards updating the village’s play area.
Lizzie Mclean, from the organising team of parents behind the event, said: “We had an absolutely fantastic weekend, and were amazed by how many people came down to visit the scarecrow trail. In total, we sold more than 620 maps and raised £4,279 which is well over double what we expected to make.
“The money will be used to pay for a new swing frame for older children at the play area, and will include a basket swing.
You may also want to watch:
“We’d like to say a really massive thank you to everyone who came to complete the trail, to everyone who made the superb scarecrows, and to our sponsors, Savills, Koru Gym and Jon Scaffolding Services.”
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 3 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 4 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 5 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 6 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 7 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 8 England call-up for Max Malins after hat-trick in Saracens' demolition of Bath
- 9 Last-gasp heartbreak for Saffron Walden against unbeaten Ipswich
- 10 Fine form continues with seven-up for effervescent Saffron Walden Town