Increase in police presence at Stansted Airports after Brussels bombings but flights unaffected
- Credit: Archant
Stansted Airport has increased its police presence in the wake of the Brussels bombings today (Tuesday).
Flights are unaffected, the airport says.
A spokesman said: “In response to this morning’s events at Brussels Airport, the police presence has been increased in landside areas at Stansted Airport.
“It is important to note that these are precautionary measures and we continue to closely monitor the situation.
“No airlines at Stansted offer direct flights to Brussels. All other flights are currently operating as normal.”
At least 21 people have died in explosions as part of a suspected terror attack in Brussels this morning, at the city’s main airport and at a Metro station near to the European Parliament building.
The first explosions were heard at Brussels Airport, during the morning rush hour.
- 1 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 2 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 3 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 4 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 5 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 6 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
Brussels Airport spokeswoman Anke Fransen said: “There were two blasts in the departure hall. The first aid team are in place for help.”
Another explosion has been reported at Maelbaek Metro station. Both the airport and Metro system have been closed following the attacks.
A fire service spokesman said there were 11 dead at the airport and “around 10” at Maelbeek station, where “there was a very big explosion.”
Richard Howitt MEP, who had used the Maelbaek station 30 minutes prior to the explosion, tweeted: ““Belgian media say 11 dead in #Brussels Airport bomb. We stand in silence but now proceed with vote in parliament. Democracy must always win.”