Industrial oven blaze on Shire Hill, Saffron Walden
AN INDUSTRIAL oven in a Saffron Walden business unit burst into flames in the early hours of Saturday morning. Firefighters were called to the two-story unit on Shire Hill just after 2am when an automatic fire alarm was triggered. Station Officer at Saf
AN INDUSTRIAL oven in a Saffron Walden business unit burst into flames in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Firefighters were called to the two-story unit on Shire Hill just after 2am when an automatic fire alarm was triggered.
Station Officer at Saffron Walden, Paul Curtis, said: "When we arrived the ground floor of the building was heavily smoke logged. Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went inside to locate the actual fire.
"They discovered that the fire was contained in an industrial oven used to cure silicone. The oven had malfunctioned and was burning the rubber inside it.
You may also want to watch:
"The firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and then we used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear smoke from the building. Luckily the damage was completely contained within the oven."
A positive pressure ventilation fan is a large fan unit which is used to create a flow of air through a building to quickly clear smoke once a fire is extinguished.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Essex BMX star wins Olympic gold
- 3 Affinity Water to resume water softening in Saffron Walden
- 4 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'
- 5 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 Uttlesford action against speeding and anti-social behaviour
- 7 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 8 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 9 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 10 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
Crews remained at the site for just over two hours ensuring that all the smoke had cleared.