Industrial oven blaze on Shire Hill, Saffron Walden
AN INDUSTRIAL oven in a Saffron Walden business unit burst into flames in the early hours of Saturday morning. Firefighters were called to the two-story unit on Shire Hill just after 2am when an automatic fire alarm was triggered. Station Officer at Saf
AN INDUSTRIAL oven in a Saffron Walden business unit burst into flames in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Firefighters were called to the two-story unit on Shire Hill just after 2am when an automatic fire alarm was triggered.
Station Officer at Saffron Walden, Paul Curtis, said: "When we arrived the ground floor of the building was heavily smoke logged. Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went inside to locate the actual fire.
"They discovered that the fire was contained in an industrial oven used to cure silicone. The oven had malfunctioned and was burning the rubber inside it.
You may also want to watch:
"The firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and then we used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear smoke from the building. Luckily the damage was completely contained within the oven."
A positive pressure ventilation fan is a large fan unit which is used to create a flow of air through a building to quickly clear smoke once a fire is extinguished.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 3 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 4 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 5 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 6 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 7 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 8 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 9 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 10 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
Crews remained at the site for just over two hours ensuring that all the smoke had cleared.