Inspirational 10-year-old completes swimathon for multiple heart attack surviving father
AFTER watching her father survive four heart attacks an inspirational 10-year-old girl has completed a marathon swimathon to raise money for the charity which helped saved his life.
Rosanna Pope, from Sawston, swam an incredible 1km in 50 minutes at the Lord Butler Leisure Centre in Saffron Walden and has so far raised �1,150 for the British Heart Foundation.
Her father Colin suffered from a series of cardiac arrests when Rosanna was only five and was saved by the prompt treatment given by staff at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
Rosanna’s mum, Sue, said she was immensely proud of what her daughter had accomplished and thanked all her supporters, friends and family for their help.
“As a family we are so proud of Rosanna’s amazing achievement.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst she was getting changed ready for this challenge she told me she’d do her best but wasn’t sure whether she would be able to complete the 1,000 metres.
“After the swim she told me to pinch her, as she couldn’t believe she had managed to do it!”
- 1 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 2 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 3 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 4 New interim chief executive for district council
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on June 17, 2021
- 6 'Children need a place to play' say residents in council homes debate
- 7 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 8 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing
- 9 Thousands waiting for hospital treatment in Essex
- 10 Fun raises cash for school books
Since the age of six, Rosanna has taken part in swimming lessons at Lord Butler –providing her with the essential skills to be able to swim the challenging 1000 metres.
She completed the mammoth fund-raising effort in just over 50 minutes by swimming one length front crawl and every other length either breaststroke or backstroke.
Bernie Ellis, swim co-ordinator at the leisure centre, said: “Rosanna has been swimming at Lord Butler for four years, and we are all proud of her – she is a wonderful inspiration to other children.
“The centre donated �74.50 to the total and the whole team is so happy she reached her goal and raised such a huge amount for the British Heart Foundation.”