Investigation launched as a number of animals die in barn blaze in Ashdon
- Credit: Archant
A number of animals being housed in a barn near Saffron Walden died when the building was gutted by fire.
Firefighters from Saffron Walden were sent to the blaze in Bartlow Road, Ashdon, at about 6.20am yesterday (Saturday) – on arrival it was reported that the barn was “well alight and full of smoke”.
Shortly before 7am the fire had been surrounded and surviving livestock had been rescued from the barn, which was sectioned off to accommodate the animals and machinery.
The incident was brought under control at about 7.20am.
A fire service spokesman said: “Although crews were able to rescue livestock from the barn, a number of animals died in the fire.”
You may also want to watch:
An investigation is now due to take place to find out what caused the blaze.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 3 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 4 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 5 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 6 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 7 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 8 Victorian Horses and riders wow at Audley End event
- 9 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 10 Follow the Yellow Brick Road to Saffron Hall this Christmas for magical The Wizard of Oz pantomime