It's learning to all in-tents and purposes for Linton students
STUDENTS at Linton Village College spent a day putting up tents and practising orienteering skills as they took on the role of polar explorers for an innovative deep learning programme. The deep learning days, which take place every two weeks for childr
STUDENTS at Linton Village College spent a day putting up tents and practising orienteering skills as they took on the role of polar explorers for an innovative 'deep learning' programme.
The deep learning days, which take place every two weeks for children in Year Seven, take pupils out of the traditional classroom environment and help them to develop the life skills that they will need in the fast-changing world of work.
Co-ordinator of deep learning at LVC, Danielle Darvill, said: "The idea is to take students out of their comfort zone and teach them to become more independent learners.
"Instead of focussing on the traditional academic subjects, students are working across the curriculum to develop skills such as teamwork, creativity and helping others."
Another feature of the days is that older pupils from Years Nine and 10 are trained to take on the role of student experts, helping the younger ones to learn.
Other deep learning days planned for later this year include a World War Two experience in which students will learn about rationing and build their own bomb shelters, a special Children in Need day, and a day devoted to learning sport through foreign languages.
- 1 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 6 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 7 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 8 Penalty heartbreak for Saffron Walden as FA Vase dreams come to an end
- 9 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 10 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Customer Excellence Award finalists