It’s never too early to think about winter driving
ROAD users are being urged to take more care as winter sets in and driving conditions become more hazardous.
The clocks go back an hour this weekend (October 28) and with it pedestrians, drivers, cyclists and roads signs all become more difficult to see especially in the darker evenings.
The safety message comes from highways authority, Essex County Council.
Cllr Derrick Louis, cabinet member for Highways and Transportation, said: “All road users need to take extra care during winter, whether it’s to make themselves more visible or increase their awareness of other road users.
“Pedestrians could wear fluorescent clothing during the daytime and reflective in hours of darkness; cyclists are legally required to use suitable lights and reflectors; and drivers and motorcyclists can ensure that, as well as being more aware of their surroundings, their vehicle is suitably prepared for the winter weather and they pay attention to road conditions.”
You may also want to watch:
However, it’s not just pedestrians who need to be more careful. As the cold weather bites, drivers should be prepared to deal with ice, snow, rain and low sun which are all hazardous in the winter season. Drivers should ensure they drive appropriately for the conditions and are prepared in advance for bad weather.
Essex County Council’s road safety team will be visiting Henham & Ugley Primary School, as well as St Mary’s School and the RA Butler Academy in Saffron Walden today (Thursday), and plan to be out in force in Saffron Walden High Street on Friday November 2 to speak to members of the public about the issue.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 3 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out