IWM Duxford air shows announced for 2014 including commemoration of the 70th anniversary of D-Day
- Credit: Archant
Imperial War Museum Duxford has announced its air show season for 2014.
It starts in May (24 & 25) by commemorating the 70th anniversary of the D-Day invasion in magnificent style.
July sees the nostalgia spectacular that is the Flying Legends Air Show while The Duxford Air Show, in September, offers a celebration of all things flying.
Tickets for all three air shows are now on sale. If you need your tickets delivered in time for Christmas, buy before Friday, December 13 for UK delivery.
The D-Day Anniversary Air Show: Saturday and Sunday, May 24 and 25
You may also want to watch:
The D-Day Anniversary Air Show commemorates the 70th anniversary of this decisive military campaign, demonstrating the vital role that aerial warfare played in the invasion of Normandy.
The air show will feature fighter, bomber and transport aircraft types that would have been seen over the beaches of France, together with thrilling ground content, including a march past by Normandy veterans and serving personnel from the Parachute Regiment. This special D-Day anniversary air show is not to be missed.
- 1 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 2 New outreach Post Office for community
- 3 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 4 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
Flying Legends Air Show: Saturday and Sunday, July 12 and 13
The Flying Legends Air Show is famous the world over for its unique presentation of historic piston-engined aircraft in rare combinations and remarkable flying displays.
Complimenting the ‘wow!’ factor in the air is the authentic 1940s atmosphere that can be experienced across the museum. It’s the closest you can get to being back at RAF Duxford in its flying heyday.
The flying display promises an unmissable fusion of power, sound, excitement and nostalgia as iconic piston-engined aircraft from across the globe perform their breathtaking flights over IWM Duxford’s historic airfield.
The Duxford Air Show: Saturday and Sunday, September 13 and 14
The Duxford Air Show is a celebration of aviation in its many diverse and varied forms. Combinations of historic aircraft, contemporary jets, mind-boggling aerobatics and those quirky, did-I-really-just-see-that displays make The Duxford Air Show an entertaining aerial spectacle with a fabulous family atmosphere.
• Air show tickets and hospitality passes are now on sale and can be purchased online at iwm.org,uk.