Jamie Oliver backs composer to beat X Factor to the Christmas Number One spot
JAMIE OLIVER is backing a long-time friend in his bid to be a number one Christmas hit.
Leigh Haggerwood, a professional composer from Saffron Walden, is locking horns with the X-Factor as he aims to release an “instant classic” to rival the tracks we all know and love.
The 36-year old, who attended Newport Grammar School alongside celebrity chef Jamie, said: “I’m fed up with the Christmas charts being dominated by the X-Factor and it seems like the same old songs have been playing forever.”
Mr Haggerwood set out to create something new and three years ago he wrote My Favourite Time of Year. At the time producers would not back his record in fear of coming up against Simon Cowell but this year Mr Haggerwood has taken it upon himself to release the track.
In July, he gathered The English Chamber Choir and several Saffron Walden musicians to form The Florin Street Band and recorded the song in Trevor Horn’s studio, the very same studio where Band Aid produced their smash hit in 1984.
You may also want to watch:
For the video Mr Haggerwood envisioned a Victorian-themed scene and with the help of Nick Bartleet, a young director, this vision came to life.
“There has been no record company backing and I am hoping the public will really get behind it in the run up to Christmas,” he said.
- 1 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 2 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 3 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 4 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 New outreach Post Office for community
- 7 Mental health trust fined following 11 deaths
- 8 New interim chief executive for district council
- 9 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 10 Crematorium to broadcast Father's Day service
To see the video go to jamieoliver.com and click on news.