Jamie Oliver backs composer to beat X Factor to the Christmas Number One spot
JAMIE OLIVER is backing a long-time friend in his bid to be a number one Christmas hit.
Leigh Haggerwood, a professional composer from Saffron Walden, is locking horns with the X-Factor as he aims to release an “instant classic” to rival the tracks we all know and love.
The 36-year old, who attended Newport Grammar School alongside celebrity chef Jamie, said: “I’m fed up with the Christmas charts being dominated by the X-Factor and it seems like the same old songs have been playing forever.”
Mr Haggerwood set out to create something new and three years ago he wrote My Favourite Time of Year. At the time producers would not back his record in fear of coming up against Simon Cowell but this year Mr Haggerwood has taken it upon himself to release the track.
In July, he gathered The English Chamber Choir and several Saffron Walden musicians to form The Florin Street Band and recorded the song in Trevor Horn’s studio, the very same studio where Band Aid produced their smash hit in 1984.
You may also want to watch:
For the video Mr Haggerwood envisioned a Victorian-themed scene and with the help of Nick Bartleet, a young director, this vision came to life.
“There has been no record company backing and I am hoping the public will really get behind it in the run up to Christmas,” he said.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 7 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 8 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 9 More restrictions set to be scrapped in Boris Johnson's winter Covid plan
- 10 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
To see the video go to jamieoliver.com and click on news.