Jeremy Clarkson and co. inspire Newport charity escapade
A GROUP of youngsters have lent their support to a Top Gear-inspired challenge aimed at raising money for a village youth centre.
Newport youth centre chairman and volunteer Andrew Yarwood will be donning his racing suit for the charity escapade as he sets off to find out just how economical his car his.
Mr Yarwood, who is also the chairman of the parish council, will fill his SAAB estate will two gallons of petrol on Saturday (April 14).
He will then attempt to complete a 78.3 mile round-trip to Bury St Edmunds before the car chugs to a halt.
The aim is to raise money to help pay off the cost of building the youth centre, opened last July.
You may also want to watch:
Donations have been made by guessing exactly how many miles will be done before the car runs out of petrol.
Mr Yarwood has promised to buy the winner a bottle of champagne.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Affinity Water to resume water softening in Saffron Walden
- 4 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 5 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Uttlesford residents help council map 'vital' green spaces
- 8 Essex filmmaker's animated journey through the universe to be shown at Saffron Screen
- 9 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 10 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
“In the unlikely event that I make it back home, we will use the champagne to celebrate Formula One style,” he said.
Anyone who would like to make a donation can call Mr Yarwood on 07714 708815 or go along to the youth centre from 1.30pm on Saturday.