Jeremy Clarkson and co. inspire Newport charity escapade
A GROUP of youngsters have lent their support to a Top Gear-inspired challenge aimed at raising money for a village youth centre.
Newport youth centre chairman and volunteer Andrew Yarwood will be donning his racing suit for the charity escapade as he sets off to find out just how economical his car his.
Mr Yarwood, who is also the chairman of the parish council, will fill his SAAB estate will two gallons of petrol on Saturday (April 14).
He will then attempt to complete a 78.3 mile round-trip to Bury St Edmunds before the car chugs to a halt.
The aim is to raise money to help pay off the cost of building the youth centre, opened last July.
You may also want to watch:
Donations have been made by guessing exactly how many miles will be done before the car runs out of petrol.
Mr Yarwood has promised to buy the winner a bottle of champagne.
- 1 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 2 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 3 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 4 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 5 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 6 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 7 There With You This Winter: Uttlesford Foodbank
- 8 Historic books have new 'long loan' home to help researchers
- 9 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 10 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
“In the unlikely event that I make it back home, we will use the champagne to celebrate Formula One style,” he said.
Anyone who would like to make a donation can call Mr Yarwood on 07714 708815 or go along to the youth centre from 1.30pm on Saturday.