Jukebox joy for Saffron Walden County High School’s West Side Story production
- Credit: Archant
County High School young performers are jumping for joy ahead of their upcoming production of West Side Story – thanks to a little help from the Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company.
The school was looking for a jukebox to feature in the forthcoming production. And after an article appeared in the Reporter earlier this month, the school was contacted the following day with the offer of “a splendid example”.
Teacher Mark Brignal said: “The drama department is immensely grateful to Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company for lending this beautifully-made replica and particularly to John Wigmore, whose creation it is.”
An updating of the Romeo and Juliet story, West Side Story is set in the mean streets of New York where two rival gangs battle for control of their territory.
Riff, played by Euan Wilson, is leader of the Jets, one of whose members makes the mistake of falling for the sister of their bitter rivals’ leader, with tragic consequences.
You may also want to watch:
Featuring a full band, playing possibly one of the best musical scores ever written, the show has unforgettable songs, wonderful dancing and gripping drama.
West Side Story is being performed in Saffron Hall from March 25-28.
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
Tickets are available from Saffron Hall (01799 512190) and the Tourist Information Centre.