Labour leader George Lansbury’s refuge goes up for sale
A former Labour leader’s Essex refuge has been put up for sale...
HERE is your chance to own a little bit of history, after a former Labour leader’s Essex refuge has been put up for sale.
The country cottage where George Lansbury sought refuge as he recovered from a broken leg is now on the market with estate agents Mullucks Wells.
As opposition leader he stayed at his son’s cottage, on the edge of the Finchingfield, during his seven month long recovery from a broken leg after, suffered in a fall in Gainsborough in 1933 when he was 75 years old.
The house belonged to Eric Lansbury – one of his twelve children and uncle to the actress Angela Lansbury.
You may also want to watch:
In the intervening years the cottage has been extended and now has four bedrooms. The back door George Lansbury is seen struggling out of with his stick(pictured), is now an internal door between the dining room and the kitchen.
The cottage has been substantially extended during the intervening years but the original part is still evident as is the inglenook fireplace the leader is seen reading beside.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 4 Town council backs new support club
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 9 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 10 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
Mark Wagstaff, branch manager of Mullucks Wells in Great Dunmow, said: “Justices Cottages is a chocolate box property in a really lovely spot. It has a beautiful garden with mature trees and vegetable garden plus a paddock – in all of about an acre. It’s a delightful place.”
The property is on the market for �549,950. Call 01371 872117.