Ladies who lunch raise almost �1,400 for charities
LADIES who lunch enjoyed an afternoon with friends and raised an incredible �1,390 for charity in just two hours on Tuesday.
Seventy women came out of winter hibernation to take part in the first ‘Lizzies Lunch’ held at Dish Restaurant in King Street, Saffron Walden, making donations and snapping up raffle prizes with the proceeds going to the Teenage Cancer Trust and MacMillan Cancer Support.
“The aim of the lunch was to have loads of fun and a good old catch- up, as we are all so guilty of being too busy for our friends and, at the same time, raise as much money as possible – and I think we certainly did that,” said Emma Langmaid from Dish.
The event was organised by Emma and Lizzie Harris from Lizzies Health & Beauty in Church Street.
After dining, Lizzie took to the floor and held a talk on ‘Never being too busy to be beautiful’.
You may also want to watch:
Emma added: “Almost every week, Lizzie or myself are touched by a customer who is suffering the effects of cancer – you would never know unless told, but their suffering and courage on occasions reduces us to tears, and humbles us when Lizzie and I have our down days. Suddenly our problems are insignificant and everyone can relate to this worthy cause.
“I also rarely get time to see Lizzie as we both work and are just too busy to see one another. We realised this was a good reason to work together – life is just too short not to make the most of your friends!
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 3 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 6 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 7 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 8 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
“So many people and local companies have supported our event, without their support the lunch wouldn’t be anywhere near as fun.”
The pair thanked Burtons Butcher, The Corner Cupboard, Curves, Goddards Electrical, Ladytron, Lottie Mutton, Mayhem, Mistral, Riccios, The Salon, Vicki Culverwell, CHR Travel for the raffle prizes, and The Sweet Shop, The Blueberry Store, Phase Eight, Sothys Cosmetics, Petrus, Blue, and Handpicked and Gorgeous for making the goody bags “so great”.