Launch of new pioneering dementia service is free for the people of Essex
- Credit: Archant
Age UK Essex has launched a new service offering support to people living with dementia.
The Dementia Connections Service helps residents who have dementia to rebuild their confidence, continue their hobbies and interests and to be actively involved in their community.
Working in partnership with the Alzheimer’s Society, trained Age UK Essex volunteers can offer up to 12 hours free support, helping local people with dementia to pursue activities and interests which they may otherwise find difficult to do, but are so important to help them maintain a positive, healthy and active life.
Team leader Barbara Hurran said: “This is a really valuable service, and I am very excited to be involved in a project which enables people with dementia to live a full and active life within their community for as long as possible.
“All our volunteers have all received Alzheimer’s Society dementia awareness training, which enables them to deliver a high quality service.
You may also want to watch:
“So if you, a family member or friend are interested in using this service, an assessment will be carried out to look at the best way we can help you achieve your personal goals.”
To find out more the residents of Uttlesford are invited to the Age UK Essex drop-in sessions at the Citizens Advice Bureau, Barnard’s Yard, Saffron Walden.
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 5 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 6 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Roger Hirst remains in place in Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner elections
On the second Wednesday of every month a local dementia connections coordinator will be on hand to answer questions and support anyone who is interested in the new service.
On the first Wednesday of the month, the local befriending coordinator will be available to discuss Age UK’s befriending service which offers companionship through a weekly home visit or a weekly outing to the park or shops.
Both drop-in sessions run from 9.30am to 2pm. Alternatively, book an appointment by calling 01799 618 856.
• Age UK Essex is looking to recruit more volunteers to support this service. Candidates need to have a caring, compassionate and friendly personality. Full comprehensive training program will be provided including dementia awareness.
For more information contact Age UK Essex Dementia Connections on 01621 854239 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or to you volunteer call the Age UK Essex on 01245 216603 or e-mail email@example.com