Learn to walk the Nordic way: Pole-walking course comes to Thaxted
- Credit: Archant
A course in Nordic walking is being held in Thaxted.
The sport involves using poles to give your whole body a workout and is becoming increasingly popular in Britain. Nordic walking exercises the upper body muscles as well as the legs in the same way as a cross-trainer in the gym.
Anyone interested in trying out the exciting sport, in Thaxted, should meet at the Margaret Street car park at 10.30am on Thursday, April 10. The four-week course (April 10, 17 and 24 and May 1) is delivered by the council’s qualified Nordic walking instructor Paul Goddard. Participants should allow one hour for training each week and bring suitable footwear and clothing for walking in the countryside, as well as a drink and snack.
Spaces are limited so anyone interested should reserve a place in advance by calling the council’s Customer Service Centre on 01799 510510 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participants should download and complete a health questionnaire in advance and bring it with them on the day. The form can be found at uttlesford.gov.uk/nordicwalking.
In addition, anyone with concerns about health issues can contact Mr Goddard in advance via e-mail at email@example.com by texting or calling 07794 867344 or turn up 15 minutes early for the session.
Cllr Howard Rolfe, Uttlesford District Council cabinet member for communities and partnerships with responsibility for health and wellbeing, said: “This is a great way for residents to get out and about, have fun and get fit at the same time. If you enjoy walking, come along and try Nordic walking.”
- 1 How Malcolm's work is having an impact in Uttlesford
- 2 Fears that Covid may cause Essex hospital staffing to get ‘very difficult’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 Vandals thought to have targeted around 30 vehicles in 'keying' spree
- 5 Teen arrested after alleged disturbance inside Saffron Walden Costcutter
- 6 School pictures: Maths workshops for parents and a museum visit
- 7 Delighted Walden photography winner unveils her new business
- 8 Cliff Parisi on Call the Midwife's 10th Christmas special
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Uttlesford councillors hope to reduce emissions and fuel poverty with new plan
Uttlesford District Council has developed a weekly Nordic walking programme across the district. On completion of the course you will be able join other like-minded people walking to keep fit.
You will be awarded a certificate showing that you have successfully completed the course and receive the nationally-recognised Nordic Walking Freedom card. The Freedom card is your passport to accredited Nordic walks and events with participating instructors across the UK. Full details on how the Freedom Card works can be found at nordicwalking.co.uk