Lib Dem councillor urges public to back same-sex marriage Bill
- Credit: Archant
THE campaign for marriage equality has been backed by one of Uttlesford’s Liberal Democrat councillors.
Cllr Elizabeth Parr, Uttlesford District Council member for Elsenham and Henham, has joined the debate on same-sex marriage and encouraged residents who support marriage equality to tell Saffron Walden’s MP Sir Alan Haselhurst.
The Government has announced that a debate on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill will be started next Tuesday (February 5), with MPs expected to consult their constituents on how to proceed.
“This is a historic moment for equality in this country,” Cllr Parr said. “Every couple should be free to celebrate their relationship in marriage, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.
“Under the terms of the Bill, religious institutions are protected from having to unwillingly perform same-sex marriage. I am proud that the Liberal Democrats in Government are helping to create a fairer society.
You may also want to watch:
“By getting in contact with Sir Alan Haselhurst to tell him you support this bill, you can help ensure that it passes in Parliament in the coming months.”
Sir Alan can be emailed through the Coalition for Equal Marriage’s website c4em.org.uk
- 1 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Another planning application as previous rejection prepares for appeal
- 4 Villages around Saffron Walden covered in frost and snow
- 5 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 6 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 'I can walk 500 miles' - chairman's Scottish celebrations during charity trek
- 9 Saffron Walden artist designs George Orwell book covers
- 10 Auction stations - former telephone exchange is up for grabs
Liberal Democrat MP for Cambridge, Julian Huppert, has already been vocal in his support of the same-sex marriage bill, along with Lib Dem ministers Jo Swinson and Lynne Featherstone.