Lib Dem councillor urges public to back same-sex marriage Bill
- Credit: Archant
THE campaign for marriage equality has been backed by one of Uttlesford’s Liberal Democrat councillors.
Cllr Elizabeth Parr, Uttlesford District Council member for Elsenham and Henham, has joined the debate on same-sex marriage and encouraged residents who support marriage equality to tell Saffron Walden’s MP Sir Alan Haselhurst.
The Government has announced that a debate on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill will be started next Tuesday (February 5), with MPs expected to consult their constituents on how to proceed.
“This is a historic moment for equality in this country,” Cllr Parr said. “Every couple should be free to celebrate their relationship in marriage, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.
“Under the terms of the Bill, religious institutions are protected from having to unwillingly perform same-sex marriage. I am proud that the Liberal Democrats in Government are helping to create a fairer society.
You may also want to watch:
“By getting in contact with Sir Alan Haselhurst to tell him you support this bill, you can help ensure that it passes in Parliament in the coming months.”
Sir Alan can be emailed through the Coalition for Equal Marriage’s website c4em.org.uk
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 Saffron Striders' Mark Coutts runs from Paddington to Bristol instead of letting the train take the strain
- 8 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
Liberal Democrat MP for Cambridge, Julian Huppert, has already been vocal in his support of the same-sex marriage bill, along with Lib Dem ministers Jo Swinson and Lynne Featherstone.