Lib Dem councillor urges public to back same-sex marriage Bill
- Credit: Archant
THE campaign for marriage equality has been backed by one of Uttlesford’s Liberal Democrat councillors.
Cllr Elizabeth Parr, Uttlesford District Council member for Elsenham and Henham, has joined the debate on same-sex marriage and encouraged residents who support marriage equality to tell Saffron Walden’s MP Sir Alan Haselhurst.
The Government has announced that a debate on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill will be started next Tuesday (February 5), with MPs expected to consult their constituents on how to proceed.
“This is a historic moment for equality in this country,” Cllr Parr said. “Every couple should be free to celebrate their relationship in marriage, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.
“Under the terms of the Bill, religious institutions are protected from having to unwillingly perform same-sex marriage. I am proud that the Liberal Democrats in Government are helping to create a fairer society.
You may also want to watch:
“By getting in contact with Sir Alan Haselhurst to tell him you support this bill, you can help ensure that it passes in Parliament in the coming months.”
Sir Alan can be emailed through the Coalition for Equal Marriage’s website c4em.org.uk
- 1 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 2 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 3 New Walden mayor announces his charities for the year
- 4 Old pirate ship climbing frame is removed for safety
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 7 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 8 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 9 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 10 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
Liberal Democrat MP for Cambridge, Julian Huppert, has already been vocal in his support of the same-sex marriage bill, along with Lib Dem ministers Jo Swinson and Lynne Featherstone.