Life in the front line
THE history of the Second World War is being vividly brought to life through the sharing of first-hand experiences by veterans. Imperial War Museum (IWM) Duxford is hosting a special event giving visitors the chance to chat with people who experienced lif
THE history of the Second World War is being vividly brought to life through the sharing of first-hand experiences by veterans.
Imperial War Museum (IWM) Duxford is hosting a special event giving visitors the chance to chat with people who experienced life on the front line.
This unique opportunity will run today (Thursday) and tomorrow (Friday) from 11am to 1pm.
The event, called People's Stories of War, will culminate on Sunday (May 31) with a day of activities inviting visitors gain an understanding of how war and conflict affected people's lives
You may also want to watch:
Veterans from the Royal and Merchant Navies, the RAF, and the Army will be represented as well as people who lived and worked on the Home Front.
A spokesman for IWM Duxford said: "This is a fantastic opportunity to hear personal experiences of the war years, understand the impact of the Second World War on people's lives and hear how those experiences still resonate today."
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 3 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 7 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 10 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
This event, which is part of the Their Past Your Future project, gives visitors the opportunity to understand how the wartime experiences of the veterans form an important part of our social history, impacting on our present and future.
Find out about the equipment used by a variety of military personnel and watch costumed characters representing the Army, the Home Guard and the Land Army.
All events are located in AirSpace at IWM Duxford and visitors can drop in and out of sessions - there is no need to book in advance and all activities are included in the standard admission price.
People's Stories of War brings the history books vividly to life with the veterans' personal stories and memories.
Tickets range from �8 to �16. For more information contact 01223 835000 or visit http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/