Live theatre from the Royal Shakespeare Company at Saffron Screen
- Credit: Archant
Shakespeare’s Richard II, starring David Tennant in the title role, will be shown live from the Royal Shakespeare Company at Saffron Screen this month.
Richard II, the fastest selling show in the RSC’s history, is the first ever play to be broadcast live from the stage of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon. The production has already become a “palpable hit” and reunites Tennant with Hamlet director Gregory Doran, who is now in charge at the RSC.
Written almost entirely in verse, Richard II is a story of power and plotting in which the king’s weakness and vanity threatens to drag his people into a civil war.
In the cast alongside Tennant are Michael Pennington as John of Gaunt, Nigel Lindsay as Henry Bolingbroke, Oliver Ford Davies as the Duke of York and Jane Lapotaire as the Duchess of Gloucester.
Saffron Screen regularly shows live plays from the National Theatre and West End and cinema business manager Rebecca del Tufo said: “We are delighted to add the RSC to the cinema programme.
You may also want to watch:
“Tickets always sell very well for our special events and we expect Richard II to be especially popular with our audiences because it has been so well reviewed.”
Saffron Screen offer a ‘Friends of Saffron Screen’ membership which allows audiences a priority booking period for special events, ensuring the best seats in the house, a free drink at every screening and two free tickets.
- 1 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 2 Tools collection is a huge success
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 6 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 8 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 9 New development plan for former Friends' School
- 10 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing
Richard II will be shown live on Wednesday, November 13 at 7pm, with an encore screening on Sunday, November 17 at 3pm. Tickets are available from the cinema box office, the Tourist Information Centre, or online at saffronscreen.com