Live theatre from the Royal Shakespeare Company at Saffron Screen
- Credit: Archant
Shakespeare’s Richard II, starring David Tennant in the title role, will be shown live from the Royal Shakespeare Company at Saffron Screen this month.
Richard II, the fastest selling show in the RSC’s history, is the first ever play to be broadcast live from the stage of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon. The production has already become a “palpable hit” and reunites Tennant with Hamlet director Gregory Doran, who is now in charge at the RSC.
Written almost entirely in verse, Richard II is a story of power and plotting in which the king’s weakness and vanity threatens to drag his people into a civil war.
In the cast alongside Tennant are Michael Pennington as John of Gaunt, Nigel Lindsay as Henry Bolingbroke, Oliver Ford Davies as the Duke of York and Jane Lapotaire as the Duchess of Gloucester.
Saffron Screen regularly shows live plays from the National Theatre and West End and cinema business manager Rebecca del Tufo said: “We are delighted to add the RSC to the cinema programme.
“Tickets always sell very well for our special events and we expect Richard II to be especially popular with our audiences because it has been so well reviewed.”
Saffron Screen offer a ‘Friends of Saffron Screen’ membership which allows audiences a priority booking period for special events, ensuring the best seats in the house, a free drink at every screening and two free tickets.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 2 Government accused of 'grotesque waste of taxpayers' money' after Stansted flight
- 3 New vehicles to catch Essex's criminals on the county's fast roads
- 4 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 5 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 6 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 7 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 8 Miss Disco's Valentine's date with fans at Saffron Walden's football club
- 9 Celebrating 20th anniversary of Harry Potter at Saffron Screen
- 10 Walden's Wizard of Oz snowflake trail winner is crowned
Richard II will be shown live on Wednesday, November 13 at 7pm, with an encore screening on Sunday, November 17 at 3pm. Tickets are available from the cinema box office, the Tourist Information Centre, or online at saffronscreen.com