Council chairman is more than half way through his 500 miles
- Credit: Foley family
Uttlesford District Council chairman Martin Foley has walked more than half of his 500 mile virtual challenge, from Uttlesford to Scotland.
He and daughter Nicola set off to cover 500 miles to raise money for the Stroke Association. They landed on the idea of walking to the Isle of Iona – which is roughly 500 miles from Uttlesford and is their spiritual home in the Hebrides.
But unlike The Proclaimers, they might not fancy doing another 500 more once they reach their goal! They aim to raise at least £3,000 before the end of February.
Martin has now completed over 330 miles on his virtual walk to Iona and Nicola has completed over 197 miles - Nicola started later and is running much of her 500 miles to catch up.
So far they have raised over £2,400 and have made it to the equivalent of the Lowlands of Scotland.
Martin’s wife Claire Foley is a stroke survivor and on a journey of recovery.
Give them a hand through a donation via https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/cllr-martin-foley-udc
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 4 Stations benefit from funding
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 7 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 8 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 9 Surgeon wins top award for hip research
- 10 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler