New Uttlesford District Council chair appointed
- Credit: Image supplied by Cllr Arthur Coote
Councillor Arthur Coote is the new chair of Uttlesford District Council.
He replaces Cllr Martin Foley, who has served since May 2020.
Leaving his post, Cllr Foley praised the community for their support for one another during the pandemic.
He said: "One thing that has been absolutely marvellous is the coming together of people in our community to help one another to deliver shopping and a hundred other good neighbourly things."
Cllr Foley's chairman's charity was Stroke Association.
He raised £4,092 to support stroke research and survivors' support, completing a 500-mile walking challenge in the post.
Cllr Foley is fundraising through JustGiving: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/cllr-martin-foley-udc
Cllr Coote has chosen East Anglia Children's Hospice (EACH) as his good cause this year.
- 1 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 2 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 3 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 5 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 6 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 7 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 8 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 10 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
He said: "As a parent, grandparent and having cared for sick children as a foster parent, this became a cause very dear to my heart."
Cllr Heather Asker was elected Vice Chair.
Cllrs Coote and Asker are both former Saffron Walden mayors.