Uttlesford elects its first female leader in council's 47-year history
- Credit: Residents for Uttlesford/Archant
Petrina Lees has succeeded John Lodge as Uttlesford District Council's leader, and become Uttlesford's first female leader in its 47-year history.
Cllr Lees was elected leader unopposed by councillors at a meeting on Tuesday (December 7).
Cllr Lodge has stepped down from his post, citing old age, but will remain a backbench councillor until the next election.
After her win, Residents for Uttlesford's Cllr Lees praised her predecessor.
She said: "Cllr Lodge is competitive, intelligent, thoughtful, understanding.
"If you put the evidence in front of him that he is wrong, then he will change his mind."
Cllr Lees said Uttlesford is "in a strong financial position" thanks to Cllr Lodge's "bravery".
- 1 Tea party celebrates Saffron Walden Museum volunteers
- 2 Debden man fundraising for Mind with 480km walk
- 3 Uttlesford Local Plan delay 'necessary' say councillors
- 4 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 5 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 6 Junior Fencer from Saffron Walden wins silver at England Championship
- 7 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 8 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 9 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 10 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
Conservative opposition members said Cllr Leeds must expect "rigorous" debate and work with them to achieve mutual goals.
Lib Dem Cllr Geoffrey Sell called for a "cultural change" under Cllr Lees' "caring" leadership.