In pictures: Walden's Lantern Parade and Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Celia Bartlett Photography
Thousands of people have taken part in this year's Lantern Parade and Christmas Lights Switch-On, marking the start of the festive season in Walden.
Children with their home made lanterns joined the parade led by the panto cast of Rapunzel, alongside dancers, performers and stilt walkers.
They walked from St Mary's Church to the lights switch-on in Market Square.
Entertainment included music from The Garden, Moonshine Coyote and Darren Stammers with Brown Paper Bag, and the MC was Stuart Vant, chairman of Saffron Walden Town Football Club.
Santa was in his Grotto, welcoming families.
Saffron Walden Emporium held a three day gift market in the Town Hall on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and on Sunday, the town had Fair in The Square, with a variety of Christmas markets and another free Santa’s Grotto.
Sunday November 28: Meet the author. Rachel Morris will be giving a talk on 'How to make a museum out of your own life' and signing copies of her book The Museum Makers, Saffron Walden Museum Shop, 2pm-4.30pm. Admission: £2.50 adults, £1.25 concessions, under 18s free. See www.saffronwaldenmuseum.org
November 28: St Mary’s Church Saffron Walden, Advent Carol Service, 6.30pm
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 In pictures: The inaugural Santa Dash around Saffron Walden
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 5 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 6 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 7 Walking Football launches in Walden
- 8 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 9 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 10 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
December 3 and 4 : All day markets, Emporium gift and craft fair at the Town Hall
December 3: Late night shopping organised by Saffron Walden Initiative
December 4: The usual SWTC market
December 5: Emporium gift and craft fair all day at the Town Hall
January 2022: The panto Rapunzel will be performed in the Town Hall.