Local firefighter rushed out to aid earthquake victims in Haiti
ESSEX County Fire and Rescue Service s Urban Search and Rescue manager is on his way to earthquake hit Haiti to help co-ordinate the EU rescue efforts. Assistant divisional officer Terry Webb, USAR station commander, will work as a specialist coordinator
ESSEX County Fire and Rescue Service's Urban Search and Rescue manager is on his way to earthquake hit Haiti to help co-ordinate the EU rescue efforts.
Assistant divisional officer Terry Webb, USAR station commander, will work as a specialist coordinator as part of the EU civil protection mechanism.
Before he left, ADO Webb said: "I will be in Haiti as a specialist co-ordinator as part of the EU team. We are mostly there to support the local people and government in Haiti and make sure that the teams get to the areas where they are needed most.
"I will be co-ordinating the EU efforts throughout the island making sure that help gets to just where its needed when it is needed."
You may also want to watch:
He will meet with the rest of the team in Brussels and go from there to Haiti.
Essex deputy chief officer Gordon Hunter said: "We are happy that the expertise we have here in the county can be used to help people who find themselves in terrible difficulty, no matter where in the world they are.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Town council backs new support club
- 4 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 9 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
"ADO Webb is a highly skilled officer and this is reflected in the fact that he not only played a part in the rescue efforts in Sumatra last September but has now has been called on to be part of the international rescue efforts again in Haiti.