Local man celebrates record-breaking birthday
A RECORD-breaking birthday was held for a man who is believed to be the oldest person in the UK with Down s syndrome. Peter Akers, who lives with learning-disability charity HFT in Ugley, celebrated his 75th birthday last Sunday (March 22). Mr Akers bro
A RECORD-breaking birthday was held for a man who is believed to be the oldest person in the UK with Down's syndrome.
Peter Akers, who lives with learning-disability charity HFT in Ugley, celebrated his 75th birthday last Sunday (March 22).
Mr Akers' brother Colin and sister Pat, together with their children, joined HFT staff and friends to celebrate the big day held at his home, Pear Tree Cottage.
"It was a really enjoyable day", said HFT service manager Sandra Forsyth. "And it was lovely that Peter's family were there to celebrate with him which made him very happy. He particularly enjoyed watching a slide show of photographs taken during his life and it was very moving to see him recognise some of the old footage."
You may also want to watch:
Colin Akers praised HFT staff for the dedicated work and support they have given to his brother since he arrived at HFT in 1985.
Although Mr Akers is believed to be the oldest person in the UK with Down's syndrome, worldwide there is an older person in America who reached his 80th birthday in August 2008.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 6 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 8 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 9 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 10 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
Pear Tree Cottage is part of HFT's Herts & Essex service in Ugley. It is a pioneering a specialist elderly care bungalow specifically designed to accommodate ageing residents with sensory impairment and dementia.