Local man celebrates record-breaking birthday
A RECORD-breaking birthday was held for a man who is believed to be the oldest person in the UK with Down s syndrome. Peter Akers, who lives with learning-disability charity HFT in Ugley, celebrated his 75th birthday last Sunday (March 22). Mr Akers bro
A RECORD-breaking birthday was held for a man who is believed to be the oldest person in the UK with Down's syndrome.
Peter Akers, who lives with learning-disability charity HFT in Ugley, celebrated his 75th birthday last Sunday (March 22).
Mr Akers' brother Colin and sister Pat, together with their children, joined HFT staff and friends to celebrate the big day held at his home, Pear Tree Cottage.
"It was a really enjoyable day", said HFT service manager Sandra Forsyth. "And it was lovely that Peter's family were there to celebrate with him which made him very happy. He particularly enjoyed watching a slide show of photographs taken during his life and it was very moving to see him recognise some of the old footage."
You may also want to watch:
Colin Akers praised HFT staff for the dedicated work and support they have given to his brother since he arrived at HFT in 1985.
Although Mr Akers is believed to be the oldest person in the UK with Down's syndrome, worldwide there is an older person in America who reached his 80th birthday in August 2008.
- 1 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 2 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 3 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 4 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 5 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 6 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 7 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 8 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 9 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 10 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
Pear Tree Cottage is part of HFT's Herts & Essex service in Ugley. It is a pioneering a specialist elderly care bungalow specifically designed to accommodate ageing residents with sensory impairment and dementia.