London Marathon 2016: Ruth Wathen from Saffron Walden beats target by five minutes
- Credit: Archant
Ruth Wathen from Saffron Walden who started running on her 50th birthday, ran the London Marathon in four hours, 35 minutes – just five minutes under her target.
She said: “It was my third marathon and it will be my last, my legs just hurt too much.”
But she still said the experience was “amazing” and she would keep running and tackle half-marathons.
Ruth said: “I had a brief stop at one point because my legs just wouldn’t work but the crowd got me going again, they were shouting: “Go on, you can do it” – it was quite emotional. I really recommend anyone who does running to give it a go.”
Ruth, 55, who works in accounts for the veterinary practice, Mercer and Hughes, has raised £750 and still counting for Cancer Research. She was cheered on over the 26 miles by her sons Matthew and Jeremy and her partner Kevin Sheehan, who introduced her to running.
You may also want to watch:
Ruth said: “I was overtaken by a man in a rhinoceros kit. I saw a minion and there were lots of fairies and bees and superheroes, Batman and Superman.
“I would like to thank everyone who supported me. It’s been amazing.”
- 1 Extension lead warning after fatal fire in Saffron Walden
- 2 Saffron Walden Town through in FA Vase after dramatic ending
- 3 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 4 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 5 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 6 New Stansted business park could support more than 3,000 jobs
- 7 Remembrance parade will take place, says town council
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 From Star Wars to Cambridge Arts Theatre... Actor Ian McDiarmid talks about The Lemon Table
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
To help Ruth raise money for Cancer Research go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RuthWathen.