London Stansted Airport announces its first ever charity partner of the year
A CHARITY which works with schools and organises competitions for disabled youngsters will be the focus of Stansted Airport’s fundraising efforts for 2012.
The Panathlon Challenge has been chosen as the airport’s inaugural charity partner of the year after coming top in a staff vote.
The Essex-based charity works with schools across the south east and organises sporting competitions for disabled youngsters. Holder of the coveted Inspire Mark, the badge of the London 2012 Inspire programme, the organisation also offers free training courses, supplies specialist equipment and provides qualified coaching and expertise.
Danny Crates, Paralympic gold medallist from Essex and sporting patron of the Panathlon charity, said: “It is fantastic news that Stansted staff have chosen the Panathlon Challenge as their first ever charity partner. Panathlon provides Paralympic type sports competitions for young disabled people in Essex and London.
“As a charity based at Stansted, this partnership with the airport is truly exciting and I hope will help us provide more sports equipment, coaching and sports competitions for local disabled children in 2012. We will now work on a programme of activities at the airport and look forward to a great year working together.”
You may also want to watch:
The partnership will include a series of fundraising events in the terminal including a special mini Paralympic Games, and airport staff will be encouraged to get involved in volunteering projects.
Marcella M’Rabety, the airport’s corporate social responsibility manager, added: “With the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games fast approaching, what better way to maximise the sporting legacy of the Games than getting our local young people involved in sport. We short-listed two sporting charities that work with both able bodied and disabled young people and put the vote to our staff.
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Saffron Striders doing their bit for charity as racing returns
- 10 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
“The Panathlon Challenge topped the ballot and we’re delighted to welcome them as our first ever charity partner. This is a fantastic opportunity for all of us at Stansted to make a real difference and to showcase the dedication, support and commitment of the airport and its staff.”