London Stansted Airport welcomes first touchdown of China Southern Airlines
STANSTED Airport welcomed its first ever passenger flight from China yesterday with the touchdown of a specially chartered China Southern Airlines A330.
Over 200 Chinese VIPs, performers and artists arrived on the flight from Beijing for a special cultural event, part of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games celebrations.
Southern China Airlines is Asia’s largest airline by fleet size and passengers carried, and sixth largest airline in the world.
Vice president of China International Culture Association, Dong Junxin, led the China Olympic Culture Delegation, which included China’s most famous soprano Song Zuying, music producer Zhang Yadong and international magician Lousi Liu, all visiting London to perform at The Creative Cities Collection being held at The Barbican Arts Centre (Aug 1-8).
Greeting the special guests at Stansted, the airport’s managing director, Nick Barton said: “We are delighted to welcome China Southern Airlines and their distinguished guests to Stansted Airport. This is a fantastic opportunity for Stansted to showcase its fantastic facilities, superb infrastructure and proximity to London.
You may also want to watch:
“We are playing our part to welcome the world to London during the Games. We have the capacity and expertise to accept any aircraft of any size from anywhere in the world, even at very short notice.
“This special flight proves the London 2012 Games are much more than just about sport, it’s about nations coming together and sharing the best that their cultures have to offer.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 3 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 Medical practice moving this week, and former £1.4m base attracts offer
“On behalf of the airport I’d like to say ‘Stansted huanying ni’ (welcome to Stansted) to our distinguished guests from China and wish them an enjoyable stay in London.”