London, Stansted and Cambridge consortium formed to encourage growth in region
INCREASING the number of international flights from Stansted Airport will form one of the central aims of a new public-private sector group that has been set up to champion the area.
The London-Stansted-Cambridge Consortium (LSCC) was launched in Kings Cross on Tuesday, bringing together big business and local authorities to push for infrastructure improvements that will allow continued growth along the corridor between the capital and Cambridge.
Stansted, in the middle of this corridor, is seen as a key element to helping drive the continued growth and utilising its current un-used capacity is seen as one of the assets that the LSCC can capitalise on.
Deputy director Stephen King said: “The consortium is already paying dividends, with the Mayor of London announcing last week a £27million investment in the vital rail link between Stratford, north London, Harlow and Stansted. This was on the back of a consortium lead bid to the mayor, recognising this as a growth corridor.”
The launch of the consortium included speakers such as the new MD of Stansted Airport, Andrew Harrison alongside Daniel Moylan, Boris Johnson’s aviation advisor.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the LSCC Greg Clark added: “The launch of the London Stansted Cambridge Corridor Consortium is an important moment for the greater south east. This region, with an economy built on the high-tech, clean, green, and knowledge economy, has the potential to drive growth nationally.
“It is an investment opportunity like no other, and with the local and regional bodies starting to come together with a shared vision and common agenda, it can provide a genuine and compelling opportunity for all.”
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 4 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 5 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 6 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 7 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 8 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 9 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 10 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex