Stansted Airport temporarily closed terminal at night
- Credit: Archant
Stansted Airport has temporarily closed the passenger terminal at night.
The closure has already started and runs until December 2 between 5pm at 5am. It has been put in place in response to the current lockdown and government ban on international travel.
They said passenger numbers have dropped to less than a fifth of standard figures.
A spokesperson for Stansted Airport said: “We’ve seen passenger numbers drop by 84 percent over recent months, and with a total ban on non-work related travel now in place, we expect figures for November to be significantly worse still.
“We’ve scaled back the terminal’s hours of operation as we did at the start of the pandemic.
You may also want to watch:
“The terminal will remain open during the day between 5am and 5pm, with a reduced number of flights operating.
“The runway will stay operational throughout so it can continue handling cargo flights.
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 3 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 4 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 5 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 10 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
“These changes are only temporary and when the lockdown ends and people start travelling again, the terminal will return to its normal opening hours.”