Stansted Airport temporarily closed terminal at night
- Credit: Archant
Stansted Airport has temporarily closed the passenger terminal at night.
The closure has already started and runs until December 2 between 5pm at 5am. It has been put in place in response to the current lockdown and government ban on international travel.
They said passenger numbers have dropped to less than a fifth of standard figures.
A spokesperson for Stansted Airport said: “We’ve seen passenger numbers drop by 84 percent over recent months, and with a total ban on non-work related travel now in place, we expect figures for November to be significantly worse still.
“We’ve scaled back the terminal’s hours of operation as we did at the start of the pandemic.
You may also want to watch:
“The terminal will remain open during the day between 5am and 5pm, with a reduced number of flights operating.
“The runway will stay operational throughout so it can continue handling cargo flights.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 3 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 4 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 5 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 6 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 7 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 8 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 9 Try this at home: Chef Webb from MasterChef's latest recipe
- 10 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
“These changes are only temporary and when the lockdown ends and people start travelling again, the terminal will return to its normal opening hours.”