Long wait nearly over for Stansted’s new health centre
Today (Thursday) is expected to go down in history as the day a village’s 40-year wait for a much-needed health centre officially came to an end.
The West Essex Clinical Commissioning Group is expected to approve a purpose-built scheme for the facility on the site of the old Castle Lotus Garage in Lower Street, Stansted Mountfitchet, at its Board meeting today (Thursday).
Uttlesford District Council’s planning committee gave the go-ahead for the health centre, along with 14 flats and a retail unit, in October 2012. However, lease negotiations between the site owners – the Hilton group – and the NHS delayed the commencement of building work.
The Reporter understands there were even concerns up until the 11th hour that the medical centre may not be approved by NHS England because of ongoing wrangling over rental costs.
But this was eventually worked out and health bosses, who will be meeting at Uttlesford District Council’s offices in London Road, Saffron Walden, appear certain to approve the recommendation for work to begin.
You may also want to watch:
Stansted resident Ray Woodcock, who is one of a small group who have avidly campaigned for a new health centre over the years, said: “We have had to wait approaching half a century for a much-needed health centre in the village. This is history.”
The health centre will replace the current GP surgery on St John’s Road, which is operating over-capacity and has more than 9,000 patients on its books.
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 8 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 9 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 10 George Peasgood doubling up at Paralympics with cycling selection following triathlon call