Love is in the air at Bridge End Garden
AS a marriage proposal, it wasn’t half bad!
Martyn Long used the backdrop of the hedge maze in Bridge End Garden - the first known marriage proposal at the popular venue - to pop the question to Stephanie Challis.
Mr Long worked in partnership with the Tourist Information Centre, town council staff and The Friends of Bridge End Garden to make it a very special day for the couple.
The maze was closed early on Saturday September 29 to allow Mr Long time to hatch his plan. Miss Challis was escorted to the maze by a friend and then handed a clue telling her to find the centre, where Mr Long was waiting on one knee to ask the big question.
The outcome was a resounding “yes” creating the best possible end to the day for the happy couple. The pair have now kindly donated a sum to the town council for the acquisition of a shrub in memory of the occasion.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Long said: “Everything went perfectly and the acquisition of the shrub, which will grow into an arch, and will be purple flowering, is even better as this is the colour that we will be using for our wedding. This is a day that neither of us will forget.”
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 5 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 6 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 7 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 10 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down