Love is in the air at Bridge End Garden
AS a marriage proposal, it wasn’t half bad!
Martyn Long used the backdrop of the hedge maze in Bridge End Garden - the first known marriage proposal at the popular venue - to pop the question to Stephanie Challis.
Mr Long worked in partnership with the Tourist Information Centre, town council staff and The Friends of Bridge End Garden to make it a very special day for the couple.
The maze was closed early on Saturday September 29 to allow Mr Long time to hatch his plan. Miss Challis was escorted to the maze by a friend and then handed a clue telling her to find the centre, where Mr Long was waiting on one knee to ask the big question.
The outcome was a resounding “yes” creating the best possible end to the day for the happy couple. The pair have now kindly donated a sum to the town council for the acquisition of a shrub in memory of the occasion.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Long said: “Everything went perfectly and the acquisition of the shrub, which will grow into an arch, and will be purple flowering, is even better as this is the colour that we will be using for our wedding. This is a day that neither of us will forget.”
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 3 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 4 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 5 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 7 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 8 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 9 West Essex villages fear becoming 'trapped' by road closures
- 10 'Do you enjoy singing and making new friends?' - Church holding taster session for its junior choir