Love is in the air at Bridge End Garden
AS a marriage proposal, it wasn’t half bad!
Martyn Long used the backdrop of the hedge maze in Bridge End Garden - the first known marriage proposal at the popular venue - to pop the question to Stephanie Challis.
Mr Long worked in partnership with the Tourist Information Centre, town council staff and The Friends of Bridge End Garden to make it a very special day for the couple.
The maze was closed early on Saturday September 29 to allow Mr Long time to hatch his plan. Miss Challis was escorted to the maze by a friend and then handed a clue telling her to find the centre, where Mr Long was waiting on one knee to ask the big question.
The outcome was a resounding “yes” creating the best possible end to the day for the happy couple. The pair have now kindly donated a sum to the town council for the acquisition of a shrub in memory of the occasion.
Mr Long said: “Everything went perfectly and the acquisition of the shrub, which will grow into an arch, and will be purple flowering, is even better as this is the colour that we will be using for our wedding. This is a day that neither of us will forget.”
- 1 How Malcolm's work is having an impact in Uttlesford
- 2 Fears that Covid may cause Essex hospital staffing to get ‘very difficult’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 Vandals thought to have targeted around 30 vehicles in 'keying' spree
- 5 Teen arrested after alleged disturbance inside Saffron Walden Costcutter
- 6 School pictures: Maths workshops for parents and a museum visit
- 7 Delighted Walden photography winner unveils her new business
- 8 Cliff Parisi on Call the Midwife's 10th Christmas special
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze