A CHURCH led initiative to bring “hope and joy into the lives of people” in the community is being held in Saffron Walden – and will culminate in a series of free youth activities.
‘Love Walden’ has been launched by New Life church on Shire Hill and runs in the week June 4-8. The church will be offering help to members of the community, including visiting the lonely, helping people with cooking or shopping, clearing a garden/garage or offering lifts to hospital.
Rajiv Ellalasingham, pastor of New Life Church – which also provides a free debt service through its Christians Against Poverty centre – said: “People in our community are suffering because of tough economic times, and we want to bring some hope and joy into their lives by helping in any way we can.”
The project is being run alongside Besom, a charity which forms links between church-goers who want to give their time and skills to help people in the community.
Kathryn Winfield, who runs Besom in Saffron Walden, said: “We are a charity offering support year-round, but this week is an excellent launch-pad for us to become known throughout the town.”
The second part of the project is being held during the week July 2-6, when a number of youth events will be held. Organised by young people for young people aged 11 to 16, each evening will boast a different event with entertainment, drinks and nibbles.
Monday – Mini Olympic games
- 1 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 2 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 3 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 4 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 5 Data reveals distracted drivers repeatedly caught in Essex
- 6 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 7 Police appeals into two Uttlesford incidents
- 8 Essex: More Electric Vehicles needed to meet goals
- 9 Saffron Walden youngsters show grit in defeat to Wymondham
- 10 easyJet: 'We don't have plans for more routes from Stansted'
Tuesday – Karaoke, ‘sing it or wing it’
Wednesday – Fancy dress with BBQ
Thursday – Talent show
Friday – UV night with disco
Love Walden culminates on Saturday July 7 in a free community fun day on the Common, with inflatables for children and adults including a 100-foot Olympic obstacle course. The fun day will be part of the celebrations put on by Uttlesford District Council celebrating the arrival of the Olympic torch in the town.
For more information, contact 01799 506045 or visit nlpc.co.uk