Lorry carrying 40 tonnes of hay catches fire on M11 - motorway closed until ‘at least midnight’
- Credit: Archant
A lorry fire on the northbound M11 has shut the motorway between junction 8 and junction 10.
The lorry caught fire around 5pm this afternoon on the northbound carriageway of the M11.
All vehicles trapped in traffic have now been released.
Fire crews from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service are on the scene and leading the incident to control the fire and prevent it from spreading to nearby fields.
Firefighters are continuing to focus on the surrounding risks and dampen down the immediate area to avoid the fire spreading.
A mechanical digger is now being used to assist crews in protecting the surrounding area. Firefighters are attempting to break down the hay bales to fully extinguish the fire.
A spokesman for Essex Fire said: “Crews are currently dealing with a lorry fire on the M11, northbound between junction 8 and junction 9.
- 1 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 2 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 3 Road building not the answer to Essex's transport woes, says campaigner
- 4 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 5 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 6 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 7 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 8 Saffron Striders enjoy home leg of inter-club cross-country championship
- 9 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 10 Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Meet the Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award finalists
“On arrival firefighters reported that the lorry had around 40 tonnes of hay on it and the whole vehicle was 100% alight.
“The road has been closed - please avoid the area.”
Station manager Dave Barnard said: “Our current concern is the possibility of the fire spreading from the lorry to a nearby barley field, so we are working hard to prevent this happening.
“To extinguish the fire we’ve been using water from a large pond adjacent to the incident. We’re also having to shuttle water over to the incident as the hydrants are some distance away.
“In addition to our firefighting activities we are working with Essex Police on the clean up operation and organising how we can move the vehicle on once the fire is extinguished.
“We expect this incident to last until at least midnight so please avoid the area tonight.”
A spokesman for Highways England said: “The M11 northbound is closed between junction 8 and junction 10 due to a HGV fire.
“Road users are advised to follow the Solid Circle symbol led diversion to exit the M11 northbound at J8 to take the second exit at the roundabout and continue along the A120 to Little Hadham.
“Continue along the A120 through Stanton to the A120/A10 roundabout. Take the third exit at the roundabout and continue along the A10 to the A10/A505 roundabout at Royston. Take the third exit from this roundabout and continue on the A505 to re-join the M11 northbound at J10.
“Road users travelling to Stansted Airport are advised to allow plenty of time to complete their journey plan as the diversion route is some 30 miles in length.”