Make your own cider with community apple picking day in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
Communities in Saffron Walden have been encouraged to join an apple picking day – with the aim of creating a unique local cider.
The initiative is being organised on Saturday by the World Healing Project, Walden in Transition and the Indian Summer Brewery.
The Axe pub, in Ashdon Road, will sell some of the cider while some will be made available to volunteers who help on the day. Part of the proceeds will go to local charities.
Giles Bryant, of the World Healing Project, which actively promotes well-being initiatives, said: “This is an experiment to see if we can achieve a local product from something that would normally go to waste.
“It’s about making the most of the local produce we have, which in these times of financial struggle it makes perfect sense.
“It saddens me to see trees laden with apples and going to waste. There is so much produce out there, and we’d like people to get in the community spirit by getting involved.
“Crab apples, cookers, eaters – any variety is suitable.”
- 1 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 2 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 3 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 4 Thaxted businesses meet Kemi Badenoch MP to talk about Small Business Saturday
- 5 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 6 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 7 Stansted's Mountfitchet House has 'bush tucker trials'
- 8 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
- 9 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 10 Q&A: Alan Hawkes of Rotary in Saffron Walden
Giles said the idea initially came from Walden Inspired, a collaboration between Saffron Walden Quakers and Walden in Transition to explore and act on areas of joint concern.
And he said his long-term goal was to develop a community food sharing scheme in Saffron Walden.
• Anyone can get involved with the apple picking day on Saturday, and this is how:
1 – Collect boxes for apples
2 – Locate apple trees and ask if owners are willing to share
3 – Donate your own produce
4 – Visit specified orchards to collect apples (to be announced, visit worldhealingproject.com)
5 – From 9am on Saturday, all boxed apples are to be delivered to the front door of New World Timber Frame, Unit 3, Ashdon Road Commercial Centre (next to Ridgeons)
6 – Enjoy the fruits of the community labours