Man arrested at Stansted Airport on terror charges to stand trial at the Old Bailey
- Credit: Archant
A 19-year-old man who was arrested on terror charges at Stansted Airport on Friday (February 5) was allegedly on his way to Syria to join IS.
Cubeyda Jama, a student at Middlesex University, will now stand trial at the Old Bailey following his appearance at Westminster Magistrates Court yesterday (Monday, February 8).
He is charged with preparation of terrorist acts.
Mr Jama, a Finnish national of Somali descent, living in Thornton Heath, south-east London, was arrested on a flight bound for Bucharest, Romania.
He was allegedly planning to travel overland to cross the Syrian border.
Prosecutor David Cawthorne said: “He was arrested on the February 5, he was taking a flight to Bucharest which the Crown says was the first step to eventually joining Daesh, formally known as Isis or Isil.”
Mr Jama’s defence counsel indicated he will plead not guilty to the offence.
- 1 Essex A-level results 2022: Students celebrate grades
- 2 Sully, 12, cuts hair for charity after Greggs-inspired outfit goes viral
- 3 Essex fire crews tackle around 70 incidents in three-hour window after rain
- 4 Celebrity MasterChef 2022: Saffron Walden's Cliff Parisi battles Chris Eubank in kitchen contest
- 5 Newport man vows to protect river after round the world sailing trip
- 6 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 7 IN PICTURES: Sir Tom Jones' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Love Essex campaign joins forces to fight litter
- 9 Dance in the Square heading to Saffron Walden
- 10 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
He was remanded in custody and ordered to appear at the Old Bailey on February 19 for a preliminary hearing.