Man arrested on suspicion of knife possession and attempted arson outside Islamic Centre in Braintree
- Credit: Archant
A MAN was arrested last night following a suspected attempted arson attack on a mosque – hours after the terrorist incident in Woolwich.
The 43-year-old is in custody on suspicion of attempted arson after reportedly walking into a mosque with a knife in Braintree.
Braintree MP Brooks Newmark tweeted last night: “Local mosque in Braintree attacked by man with knives and incendiary device. Man arrested. No one injured.”
Mr Newmark added: “Just met with leaders of local mosque in Braintree which was attacked this evening. Thanked local police for their swift response.”
A spokesman for the Al Falah Braintree Islamic Centre on Silks Way confirmed there had been an arson attempt near the property.
You may also want to watch:
Essex Police confirmed a 43-year-old from Braintree had been arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon and attempted arson after the incident in Silks Way at 7.15pm yesterday.
The spokesman added that police were investigating the “full circumstances” and said “it would not be appropriate to speculate at this time”.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 4 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 5 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 10 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing