Man arrested on suspicion of knife possession and attempted arson outside Islamic Centre in Braintree
- Credit: Archant
A MAN was arrested last night following a suspected attempted arson attack on a mosque – hours after the terrorist incident in Woolwich.
The 43-year-old is in custody on suspicion of attempted arson after reportedly walking into a mosque with a knife in Braintree.
Braintree MP Brooks Newmark tweeted last night: “Local mosque in Braintree attacked by man with knives and incendiary device. Man arrested. No one injured.”
Mr Newmark added: “Just met with leaders of local mosque in Braintree which was attacked this evening. Thanked local police for their swift response.”
A spokesman for the Al Falah Braintree Islamic Centre on Silks Way confirmed there had been an arson attempt near the property.
You may also want to watch:
Essex Police confirmed a 43-year-old from Braintree had been arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon and attempted arson after the incident in Silks Way at 7.15pm yesterday.
The spokesman added that police were investigating the “full circumstances” and said “it would not be appropriate to speculate at this time”.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 7 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100